COMPETITION RESULTS 2007
BEST OF CATEGORY AGUA LUCA
- Agua Luca
- Judge's Notes "Aromatics of fresh cut grass, flowers and lime peel; a slight smokiness; minty and sweet; well-balanced"
- Judge's Notes "Lush tropical fruit bowl nose - bananas and guava; clean pure, direct; very pleasant tropical flavor, but still dry; good balance with a lingering finish"
- Beleza Pura
- Judge's Notes "Rich aromas of banana cream pie; good balance of fruit and earthiness; clean with persistent finish and good acids"
- Fazenda Mae De Ouro
- Judge's Notes "Light floral aromatics; aromas of fresh figs, apples and dried apricots; very indicative of the category; smoky dry finish that lasts"
- Cuca Fresca
BEST OF CATEGORY YPIOCA 160
- Fazenda Mae De Ouro Single Barrel 5 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of honey, cocoa, cedar and caramel with flavors of caramel, orange and a drying savoryness"
- GRM 'Small Batch' 2 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Opens with coastal grass aromas; some banana bread and nutmeg notes; gentle, subtly spicy bit not overpowering; earthy, pleasant and smooth; hints of anise and citrus; finishes sweet and tangy with good acids; delicate and refined"
- Ypioca 160
- Judge's Notes "Rich crème brulee and toasted almond nose, with loads of spices and even a salt water taffy quality; tastes buttery and toasty, rich and robust with rippling notes of marzipan, spice cake, tobacco, fudge and chocolate; full-bodied, with a lengthy, nutty, candied finish"
- Cuca Fresca Gold
- Judge's Notes "Gentle aromas of grass and flowers; sweet tasting with hints of vanilla and lemon; complex finish"
- Rochinha 'Single Barrel' 12 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Balance between sweet grass and nuttiness; flavors of cognac - dry and oaky, with a tea-like quality; dry persistent finish"
- Ypioca Ouro
- Judge's Notes "Earthy and smoky, with hints of cooked bananas on the nose; smooth and well-balanced with a buttery vanilla and black tea tang; clean and balanced finish"
- Armazem Vieira 'Onix' Solera 16 Year Old
- Ypioca Prata
RHUM AGRICOLE, UNAGED
BEST OF CATEGORY Rhum Clément Première Canne
- Rhum Clément Première Canne
- Rhum J.M White Rum
RHUM AGRICOLE, AGED
BEST OF CATEGORY TIE
Rhum Clement V.S.O.P. Rum & Rhum J.M. 1997
- Rhum Clement VSOP Rum
- Judge's Notes "Toffee and floral nose; surprising flavors of fruit and spice, baked cinnamon rolls with maple sugar; keeps building, long lingering finish, very smooth"
- Rhum Clement Rhum Vieux X.O.
- Judge's Notes "Well-balanced nose with fruit, wood, spices and a hint of nutmeg; delicious taffy flavors, inviting; complex and rich; excellent length; very smooth"
- Rhum J.M. Gold Rum
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of Caribbean fruit - mango, banana - caramel and vanilla; flavor is complex and charming, strong with vanilla; finishes slightly sweet but complex and fruity; a hint of lime peel and toffee; smooth and velvety"
- Rhum J.M. 1997
- Judge's Notes "Very balanced aromas with fruit, vanilla, wood and nuts; tangy citrusy flavors with coconut and toffee; excellent length and developing complexity; finish is appetizing, long and very smooth"
- Clement Cuvee Homere
- Judge's Notes "Nose of vanilla, cinnamon and lots of oak; tastes of honey and cognac; good acids and puckery finish"
- Rhum Clément V.S.O.P. Rum
- Depaz Blue Amber Rhum
- Judge's Notes "Subtle and pleasant nose; tropical fruit and maple syrup; sweet vanilla and aged flavors, dry but not drying; good for sipping; good complexity; mouthwatering finish of guava and chile peppers"
BEST OF CATEGORY PRICHARD'S CRYSTAL
- Mount Gay Special Reserve
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of butterscotch and caramel, flavors of roasted nuts and fruit, altogether a nice balance of fruit, pepper and sweetness, tangy but smooth"
- Prichard's Crystal
- Judge's Notes "Full buttery aromas of toffee, caramel and raisin; tropical lushness; tastes like butterscotch vanilla pudding but well-balanced, with light and pleasant finish"
- Rubi Rey Reserve
- Judge's Notes "Clean, pure, spicy and balanced with a dry and herbaceous flavor and long lingering richness"
- Ron Botran White
- Judge's Notes "Nice aromatic balance of tropical fruit and molasses; Complex flavors with a slight sweetness, smooth with a gentle finish; good acids"
- Santa Teresa Blanco
- Judge's Notes "Clean; light aromas of vanilla with a touch of cocoa; moderate flavors of coconut and banana; taste a bit of toasted pumpkin seeds; moderate pleasant finish"
- Havana Club (US)
- New Grove Oak Plantation
- Mainstay Cane
BEST OF CATEGORY ONE BARREL RUM
- Judge's Notes "Rich and robust toffee and vanilla aromas; full bodied and fruity; dances on the tongue; big finish with loads of cocoa"
- One Barrel
- Judge's Notes "Subtle nutty aromas; flavors of walnut, hazelnut, butter, caramel and a hint of apricots; long, lingering finish of nuttiness"
- Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21
- Judge's Notes "Spicy nose (cinnamon, nutmeg, mace) with an abundance of spicebox flavors - nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, ginger - as well as honey and fermented nuts; very spicy finish"
- Pirate's Choice Molasses Reef
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of sherry and berries and a light nutty butteriness; smooth mouthfeel, with baked pineapple, honey and orange notes; smooth moderate finish"
- Jack Tar Superior Dark Rum
- Rogue Dark
RUM, AGED UP TO & INCLUDING 8 YEARS
BEST OF CATEGORY TORTUGA 5 YEAR OLD
- Goslings Black Seal
- Judge's Notes "Very distinctive and complex aromas; like a glass of Bananas Foster and tastes like it, too; guava, banana, cookies and cream, dates and spices galore; evolving, everlasting finish"
- Mount Gay Sugar Cane
- Judge's Notes "Very inviting aromatics of ginger, honey, orange and almonds; Smooth flavors of nutmeg, citrus, apricot and vanilla; rich sweetness of baked walnuts and cocoa powder; dry finish"
- Prichard's Fine Rum
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of custard apple and guanabana; Spicy licorice tang; Flavors of date, raisins and fried bananas; succulent and rich; a touch of bourbon in the finish; rich dry fruit finish"
- Ron Barcelo Imperial
- Judge's Notes "Rich toffee, treacle and orange aromas; date and toffee flavors with a touch of tobacco; robust, sophisticated and balanced; builds in complexity and stays forever"
- Tortuga 5 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Rich and elegant aromas of toasted almonds and toffee with peaches and pears; sweet and delicious flavors of mashed dates, raisin wine and coffee, with a tannic backbone - a sipper's delight; complex finish - lovely, balanced and complicated"
- Bacardi 8
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of papaya and banana; smooth and balanced with a hint of caramel; nutty and spicy; finishes with a pleasant mouthful of Caribbean fruits with good dryness and balance"
- Cockspur Fine Rum
- Judge's Notes "Elegant cognac-like aromas, with hints of orange and lime; Very smooth and balanced flavors with a light butterscotch taste; finishes round, balanced and long"
- Diplomatico Reserva
- Judge's Notes "Nose of raisins, molasses, vanilla, caramel and banana; flavors of vanilla and caramel with orange and almond; very balanced, smooth and clean, lingering finish"
- Goslings Gold
- Judge's Notes "Nutty, well-balanced flavors; dates and seawater; smooth, sweet and balanced, full-bodied with a rich butteriness; builds complexity through the finish"
- New Grove Oak
- Judge's Notes "Flavors of tutti-futti, toasted almond and caramel with a touch of oaky bitterness; finishes smooth with a lingering butteriness; balanced finish between tannins and fresh fruit"
- Santa Teresa Gran Reserva
- Judge's Notes "Crisp aromas of pear, apple and citrus; buttery, tart, smooth and balanced flavors; spicy and pleasant finish"
- Appleton Estate Reserve
- Appleton Estate V/X
- Bacardi Select
- Centenario Anejo Reserva Especial
- Mount Gay Eclipse
- Ron Botran Anejo 8 Year Old
- Ron Botran Oro (Gold)
RUM, AGED 9-15 YEARS
BEST OF CATEGORY TIE
DIPLOMATICO RESERVA EXCLUSIVA & TORTUGA 12 YEAR OLD
- Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
- Judge's Notes "Redolent of rich caramel and chocolate, hazelnuts and burnt sugar; tastes sweet, smooth and balanced - delivers the promise of its aromas - delicious! Orange, chocolate, sweet mango - the flavor notes are endless; full- bodied, lush and rich, with a lingering finish that demands another sip"
- Tortuga 12 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Smooth and balanced aromas of cooked tropical fruits and coffee cake - molasses, cocoa and spices; lots of sweetness - maple sugar, hazelnut, apricots, vanilla and caramel; sweet and smooth, with a very fresh, bright and charming finish; excellent length and developing complexity"
Mount Gay Extra Old
Judge's Notes "Aromatics include maple sugar and chocolate, spices, leather and wood shop; spicy flavors of nutmeg and cognac; lean and mature, with touches of tea, tobacco, peppermint and smoke; powerful, well-knit and drying characteristics make this a slow sipper worth savoring"
Ron Botran 12 Year Old
Judge's Notes "Well-balanced aromas with hints of flowers and fruit - oranges, apricots and vanilla; light tasting, smooth and slightly sweet, with notes of black tea and molasses; smooth lingering finish"
Ron Zacapa 15 Centenario Year Old
Judge's Notes "Strong notes of orange, cocoa, raisins and cooked tropical fruits; a bit like plum pudding with custard; lush and rich tasting, with sweet overtones of dried fruit, caramel and honey, the sweetness balanced by a woody backbone; long lasting finish with a drying lemony character reminiscent of cognac"
Santa Teresa Selecto
Judge's Notes "Balanced light aromas of caramel and chocolate, with hints of candied fruits; hazelnuts and caramel in the mouth; clean, straight-forward rum, with a lingering caramel sweetness on the finish"
RUM, AGED +15 YEARS
BEST OF CATEGORY TIE
RON ZACAPA CENTENARIO 23 YEAR OLD & SANTA TERESA 1796
- Pyrat XO Reserve
- Judge's Notes "Orange and grapefruit marmalade aromas; medium-bodied with tangy flavors of citrus peel and dark honey. Finishes with spice and dried orange peel notes"
- Pyrat Cask 1623
- Judge's Notes "Opens with multiple dried and fresh fruit aromas - peaches, grapes, prunes, green figs and sherried walnuts; rich and dense body with ginger-peachy and maple sugar flavors; well-managed tannins and acids, with a powerful, long and strong finish"
- Ron Macuro Anejo Ultra Premium
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of marzipan and chocolate oranges with a whiff of coffee; on the palate, marzipan again with a slight bite of tannin; finishes persistent, lush and rich with great balance with hints of coffee and cocoa"
- Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year Old
- Judge's Notes "Nose full or apricots, citrus fruits, vanilla, cocoa and bourbon; rich and full-bodied with spicy chocolate flavors and a pleasing tannic bite; very long finish, clean and rich with a lovely liqueur-like density"
- Santa Teresa 1796
- Judge's Notes "Opens with toffee, brown sugar and vanilla aromas; dark chocolate and maple syrupy on the palate, with a dense richness; finishes with great length, a touch of pepper and developing complexity"
- Centenario Fundacion
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of Sherry, orange and caramel, with sweet Sherry-like flavors; rich, suave and sweet, tasting of dates and lemons; complex, dry and long finish"
- Goslings Old
- Judge's Notes "Strong, lush aromas of Demerara sugar, raisins and dried fruits; dry but full-bodied, with hints of chocolate, honey and black tea, very smooth, well-balanced and finely aged"
- Ron Botran Solera
- Judge's Notes "Subtle nose with some nutmeg and cinnamon; tastes of vanilla bean and nutmeg with balanced dryness and sugar; smooth and easy on the palate; fine finish"
BEST OF CATEGORY SANTA TERESA ARAKU RON Y COFFEE LIQUEUR
- Rhum Clément Créole Shrubb
- Judge's Notes "Oranges with a hint of vanilla, slight bitterness, but well- balanced and bright, with some slight bitterness - what an orange cordial should be"
- Santa Teresa Rhum Orange Liqueur
- Judge's Notes "Almond and oranges on the nose; rich tasty and and full- bodied; great mix of sweet and bitter oranges"
- Santa Teresa Araku Rum and Coffee Liqueur
- Judge's Notes "Coffee, coffee, coffee - strong French roast with a touch of chocolate; well-made and robust rum cordial"
- Castries Peanut Rum Crème
- Judge's Notes "Aromas of freshly ground peanut butter - creamy and smooth, a yummy and rare peanut cordial"
- Prichard's Sweet Georgia Belle Peach Mango Liqueur
- Judge's Notes "A glass full of ripe, sugary apricots and peaches with some pleasing citrus; sweet and peachy, with some almond notes; fun"
- Beleza Pura Caipirinha
- Pirate's Choice Key Lime Rum
- Prichard's Cranberry Rum
- Rogue Hazelnut Spiced Rum